Thursday, April 8, 2010



Trying to keep baby Daisy's fever down with pedialite and a cold rag on her head.



In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Not exactly the easiest thing to do. Especially when you are on the umpteenth virus floating around your house since Thanksgiving.

Yes, sadly, we are sick- again.

But my pediatrician says it's not because I am a bad mom or have a dirty house...uh-hum. Rather, it's because I have 4 children in the "at risk" category.

What is at risk, you ask? Well, according to the Baby Whisperer, (our back-up pediatrician, yes, we have one) children ages 1-3 are at risk for 8-12 viral infections per year due to their age, development and mobility. All that crawling, potty training and hands in the mouth, not to mention strangers that are drawn to adorable children and feel the need to touch them- but that's another post entirely.

So, when you take that 8-12 viral infections per year and multiply it times 4 you get US! We are at risk AT RISK! Yes, I have the poster children for that category.

So back to giving thanks.. yes, we are told to give thanks in EVERYTHING. I don't know about you, but that has been a challenge for me in the past and it is something I have felt a strong conviction about in the past year or so. And while I may be a slow learner at times, the point is, I'm learning.
So without further a do, here is my thankful list for today...

1.I am thankful no one has unexpectedly dropped by since I have been wearing the same pajamas for ??? a while.



2. I am thankful for a husband that can overlook the toys, laundry and messes on the floor and is grateful for a frozen dinner. I love that man!


3. I am thankful that the babies nap schedules are off, actually alternating. This allows me to have more one on one with them and to hold one for hours while the other is sleeping. They don't have to share mommy when they are feeling bad!


4. I am thankful for my pediatrician. He really is an awesome doctor, even if he does tell me, "It's most likely a viral infection."


5. My backup pediatrician...aka- the Baby Whisperer. When we see him, which lately has been pretty regularly, (our regular pediatrician fills up pretty quickly)he has an amazing, calming affect over my children. It really is pretty awesome. When he walks in a hush falls over the tiny exam room. It really is a gift.


6. The pediatricians office staff. I LOVE THEM! Everyone there knows us and that is worth every cent. They look out for us and really make each visit much more pleasant than it would be otherwise.


7. I am thankful for vicks vapor rub and humidifiers.


8. I am thankful for pedialite and IBUPROFIN. Beacause even the most seasoned mom gets nervous when a fever reaches 103.9.


9. I am thankful for friends that pray for us, even when I don't ask for it, and they understand that it may take me days to return a phone call and they don't take it personally.



10. I am thankful for silly brothers that can make a sick baby sister smile.


I am reminded, It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23
And again, I am thankful.

No comments: