Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Great Debate.... Cloth vs. Disposable

Well, we have made the switch. Yes, some of my dear friends have called me crazy but we went ahead and took the plunge. We have switched from disposable diapers to cloth. I know.. crazy, right? Let me explain...

Very, very soon we will have 4 children in diapers, all the time, every day and 1 still wears them at night. My friends, that is a lot of diapers and a lot of money! When Puddin was a baby I had played around with the idea of doing cloth but never took it seriously. Anyway, after I calculated the cost of 4 children in diapers I quickly started to change my mind.

So I started with 2 diapers and tried them out. Let me just say, they were AMAZING!!! Cloth diapers have come a long way since the 70's.These things are great! They have velcro closures, a waterproof, leak proof barrier and SUPER absorbent padding! We have been using them for a month now, every day without fail and have never had a leak! Not ever! Plus, as an added bonus, they are so absorbent I don't have to change diapers nearly as often as I did before. My monkeys go a lot. So before I woud have to change them every 2-3 hours and we were running through a ton of diapers. Now I can easily go 4 hours in 1 diaper and they are fine. They are so absorbent that when I change them their skin is dry! Truth be told, on Monday they were in the same diaper from 8:15-1:00 because we were out around town and busy and I just didn't get to change them!

Now, I know you are all wondering about the poopies. Yes, they are nasty... not fun at all, but it really isn't that bad. I just rinse them in the potty and drop them in a bucket of hot water and oxy clean until I have a load of diapers to wash. When I consider the $$ I am saving will help put Puddin in preschool next year it's all worth it! And honestly, had I know it was this easy I would have used cloth a LONG time ago!

In case you're curious, we are using the bum genius brand ***fabulous***. We bought ours off diapers.com but here is a link to the website http://www.bumgenius.com/. Hopefully when the monkeys are awake from nap I can snap a couple of pics of them in their fabulous diapers to add to this post!

For now, I'm off to enjoy naptime!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Way to go with the cloth diapers. I have really thought about it with Mason. But decided against it, because I was already doing an ton of laundry everyday due to his reflux. Glad you are enjoying it!

Jennifer Fleming said...

We are cloth diaper babies too here love it!!!